Friday, July 17, 2015

Some confirmed Norwegian segments!

Well.  I really didn't expect to have such progress so quickly.  My great-uncle's results came in yesterday, so I immediately went to work browsing through trees, looking for common ancestors, and I got multiple hits for the same couple.

My great-great-great-great-grandparents were Askjeld Heljesen & Brytteva Andersdatter.  Askjeld was born in 1780 at Aarhus farm in Voss, Hordaland, Norway.  He died 16 November 1851 at Aarus farm, Evanger, Norway.

Brytteva was born in 1777 at Nedre Skierven farm, Voss, Hordaland, Norway.  I am not sure when or where she died.

They had two children: a daughter named Torbjorg Askjeldsdatter born in about 1820, and a son, Anders, born in Evanger, Hordaland, Norway.  We are descendants of Torbjorg, and the other family I connected with are descendants of her brother Anders.  The other family also tested an uncle, so my great-uncle, and their uncle are third cousins.  Their uncle is a third cousin, once removed to my dad, and third cousin, twice removed, to me.  The younger generation is third cousins, once removed to my great-uncle, fourth cousins with my dad, and fourth cousins, once removed with me.

The segments I've confirmed come from Askjeld and Brytteva.  Unfortunately, neither us, nor the other family have been able to build our trees back beyond this couple.  But, it's possible someone else who matches on one or more of the shared segments has, so we might still be able to break down this brick wall.

Because I found this connection on Family Tree DNA, I haven't been able to compare them to my father or myself to see if there are additional segments shared beyond what my great-uncle has.  I've asked the other family to upload to GEDmatch so that we can answer that question.

Here is a visual of the places where my great-uncle matches this family.  You should be able to click on it to get a better view.



No comments:

Post a Comment