Sunday, July 19, 2015

Matching segments!

Here is a map of all the confirmed segments in my dad's DNA.  :)

You can see the legend down in the lower right hand corner, but here's the explanation of what you're seeing:

1)  The dark aqua bars.  These bars are 2 generations back from my father, and show all the places where my dad matches his uncle.  They actually share a little more DNA than expected, so that is GREAT news for us!

2)  The bright aqua bar on X: This bar is 1 generation back from my father, and shows a place where my dad matches his niece.  We know that Dad could only have gotten X from his mother, so the common ancestor between my dad and his niece on that segment is Dad's mother, who is his niece's maternal grandmother.

3)  The blue bar on Chromosome 4: This bar is 6 generations back from my father.  You'll notice that this bar overlaps with the dark aqua bar below it.  This indicates that the two bars represent two different sides of my dad's chromosome.  If I was to compare Dad's uncle with the family represented by the blue bar, they should NOT match.  The blue bar is assumed to be from Dad's paternal side, and the aqua bar is known to be from his maternal side.

4)  The brown bar on Chromosome 12: This bar is 9 generations back from my father.  I was really hoping that Dad's uncle would match on that segment too, but he doesn't.  However... he could end up matching the two families represented by the brown bar in another place, other than where Dad matches them, so the work is definitely not done yet.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment